Previous | Next

As requested by asdfg I just wanted to let you know that this is inspired by two different articles. The post title came from a Twitter hashtag created by SPORT, the reasons came from an article they published. I translated/adapted them a little and added my own comments under each one of them. You can find the link to the original articles at the bottom of this page.

1. Thirteen titles speak of a unique project:

Pep as coach has already won more titles than Johan Cruyff did.

No other team in the world has ever won the sextuple.

2. The challenge of the seven points:

Three times Barça has been behind the 1st of the table with a massive difference in points.

All three of them, Barça won the league that season (1992, 1994 and 1999).

3. Pep Guardiola, the great leader:

No one knows how to handle defeat better than Pep.

He knows that losing is the best fuel to make you win.

4. Pep vs Mou stats:

Ten times they’ve played against each other.

Pep’s only lost once.

5. Mou’s arrogance, the best stimulus for Barça:

Barça players give their best when Mou taunts them.

That fact frightens both Mou as well as Madrid’s players.

6. Camp Nou, the unbeatable fort:

Barça has never lost in Camp Nou whenever the second leg of a match was played there.

Only one team has managed to score in Camp Nou in the current league.

7. Compromise and Quality:

The team has the quality.

They never compromise their fairplay, whatever the weather.

8. Messi, the best player in the world:

The very few people who speak against him say he’s never won a World Cup with Argentina.

They should remember that neither has Cristiano Ronaldo with Portugal.

9. The injured will get better and Keite will be back:

In spite of multiple injuries, our team is still able to keep up its excellency, even our baby-cracks from Barça B.

Imagine what they’ll do when Villa, Afellay, Fontàs and the rest injured players will be in top form.

10. The Dream Team, the next big target:

The side led by Cruyff (with Pep as player) managed to win four consecutive league titles.

Can you imagine a better way for Pep to pay homage to his teacher than to achieve the same feat?

Pep to his players:

If I could do it, so can you!

( 10 comments — Speak )
Jan. 31st, 2012 09:12 am (UTC)
Good reasons! Winning is secondary to me, though, I just want the team to go back to play like normal -- which means not shit like against Villareal :P

Could you please put up a source to the original article if available?
Jan. 31st, 2012 10:20 am (UTC)
9. The injured will get better and Keite will be back

Jan. 31st, 2012 10:42 am (UTC)
i said it somewhere else, the last thing i want to be is a debbie-downer. i don't think people like pessimists for a very good reason.

but my action plan in all things Barca is to usually suspend belief and get a nice big good surprise at the end. i won't go into details, but i once spent 6 minutes crying on the carpeted floor and hoping [and trying to battle that hope] that a certain team [not Barca] would score a winner. they didn't. it's been many years since, but most often than not, at least publicly, i learned to tone it down. to suspend belief, if you will.

so, all of these are good reasons if games would be played on paper and won in mind fights alone. the situ on the pitch is not that simple. as we showed [or rather, didn't] against Inter in 2010, heart alone will only get you this far.

deep down, i wish [more than i hope] we could bounce back. i wish we won this liga and beat this rm more than i ever did, and the very thought of having to bow out pains me so much. in the end, we shall see.

yep, sorry for the completely shit reply.
Jan. 31st, 2012 11:26 am (UTC)
No need for apologies, you see, the sort of reaction you had during THAT match was exactly the same one I did. Like I said before, I'm an old school Barça fan who has seen the team hit its peak and its very bottom quite a few times already and that taught me the old Barça philosophy of hoping for the best while preparing for the worst.

That has not changed, however, you'll find that Pep Guardiola is only continuing a job that Johan Cruyff started in 1990. The job was to get rid of the pessimism that has always characterised Barça fans. It's a massive undertaking considering that us Catalan people, more often than not, see the glass half empty rather than half full.

This is mainly because of our cultural heritage and the fact that we've taken, as country, quite a few beatings in our long history. We tend to transfer that 'preparing for the worst' credo in everything we do, including following Barça, as a self-defence mechanism to prepare for any disappointments we're sure will come our way.

That said, Pep Guardiola, who is as Catalan as you can get, is also convinced that, while you can still prepare for the worst, you can also hope and work to get the best. His job, as started by Johan Cruyff, is to make sure Barça fans are not afraid to want the best for their team.

Like Pep himself put it once: if Barça are 12 points behind Madrid, Barça fans will just forfeit the league, if the situation is reverse, Madrid fans are ready to bet their team will overcome the difference and end up on top. THIS is what Pep wants us to believe too and, I don't know you guys but I am perfectly ready to jump into the Pep-wagon:

I WANT TO BELIEVE. Visca el Barça i Visca Catalunya (and, of course, Fuentealbilla too!) :)

Edited at 2012-01-31 11:27 am (UTC)
Jan. 31st, 2012 11:35 am (UTC)
wow, it's amazing how i fit right in the Catalan state of mind.

i understand what you're saying and even though i've been a Barca fan for only 10 years, i've seen some ups and downs to know how it works, i need to protect myself, sometimes even against Barca.

belief is always there, of course. no man has ever managed to kill hope. nope.
Jan. 31st, 2012 11:33 am (UTC)
no i think it's ok to be pessimistic or cautious or realistic. doesn't make anyone less of a fan or anything like that. different people react differently to situations.

I personally tend to be on the cautious side, there are quite a handful of games left and Madrid could lose points and we could bounce. That said, all I ask, every single season, is for the team to play well, play a few youngsters. If we lose be it for another team to play a good offense not because we weren't playing our game.

Titles are huge bonuses of course.
Jan. 31st, 2012 11:39 am (UTC)
completely agree with you there, this is what i want from us most right now, to regain form and enthusiasm for the game and the confidence we can do it.

losing on our own mistakes hurts the most. and this is what's been happening this season.
Jan. 31st, 2012 11:41 am (UTC)
Yep, nothing wrong with being cautious but, rather than pessimistic, we should all be PePssimistic. Like you've put it yourself in a wonderfully worded sentence:

"If we lose be it for another team to play a good offense not because we weren't playing our game. "

We need to play our game and hope that La Moreneta will watch over us!
Jan. 31st, 2012 12:21 pm (UTC)
In Pep we trust! Noone can shake my trust in Barca
Jan. 31st, 2012 06:37 pm (UTC)
Thanks for this post! It helped me a lot, and made more optimistic for the second half of the season.
( 10 comments — Speak )

Hello there!

Welcome to _fcbarcelona_,
a community made by Barça fans for Barça fans. First of all, not all content posted in this community is available publicly. To view unlimited content in this community you will need to become a member. As a member you can post and discuss the latest Barça news, transfer rumors, fun posts, and live match with other culés.
For more information about us and how to become a member you can view our profile.
Visca Barça!

fcb cocoa
Futbol Club Barcelona

Latest Month

August 2013