Previous | Next

Following the good news about Abidal contract renewal here's another story about this wonderful man. Grab a box of kleenex and get ready to feel even more proud of this team.

A letter written to the Spanish newspaper "La Vanguardia" tells us the beautiful story starring FC Barcelona's French player and a kid affected by a similar tumor to the one Abidal had last year.
The letter explains how much it helped his son to get better, using Abidal as an example. 

"You've got in your head, the same thing Abidal had on his liver, and  they'll extract it tomorrow", it was the only thing I could say to my 15 year old son, shaken by the terrible news that I had just heard some minutes before. "Dad, buy me Abidal's jersey, I'll fight like him and win my own Champions League", he answered. He didn't cry. He was the only one that didn't do it. He entered the operating theatre with Abidal's jersey and it was hanged on his bed, like a sacred object, during all the time he was in hospital. A week after the operation, coincidentally, I found Abidal, whom I had never seen before, in a store. I explained him our story and showed him pictures of my son on my phone with his shirt on the hospital. I thanked him for the strenght he had given us. "I also want to meet Abidal" my son said when I told him.

After five months of operations, radiotherapy and chemotherapy, last Thursday, January 5th, some Barça players visited the hospital. The players that came to our floor were Puyol, Alexis and Éric Abidal. Thanks to a nurse, Abidal went into his room. He entered the room and gave my son a hug. For the first time, he was crying non-stop. "Vamos, vamos, hermano, I'm here to cheer you up. I'm also fighting against this illness and I'm going to set up a cheerful foundation, and it will make massages to ill children" he told my son.

, tender, sympathetic, he hugged my son for ten minutes. We were all emotional and thankful. Before leaving, when we mentioned his watch, he took off his Rolex Daytona, and put it to the boy. "Toma, I want you to keep it. My name's written on the back". It was imposible to make him change his mind. "I don't care how much it costs. I want him to be happy.

We hugged and he continued his way visiting other kids. I looked at my son and I'll never forget the happy face he made. I had almost forgotten it. During the night, he turned on  the light several times to look at the engraving of the watch. My wife and I didn't know how to thank Abidal for his kindness and generosity, and the minimum we could do was writing this letter.

Barcelona players' visit encouraged  the kids 
much more than any medicine. This makes Barça més que un club. We admire Pep, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol... But Abidal will always be our biggest idol. To us he's more than just a football player. I wish all ill kids to have good health and a big hug to their parents.

Source: http://www.lavanguardia.com/participacion/cartas/20120115/54244449848/l-abidal-exemple-per-als-nens-malalts.html

( 16 comments — Speak )
Jan. 17th, 2012 12:15 am (UTC)
What a great story, thanks so much for the translation!

Although I can't help wondering whether maybe the foundation is offering messages to ill children? Not that I wouldn't welcome a massage from one of the Barcelona players...
Jan. 17th, 2012 02:47 am (UTC)
No, it actually IS massages, the original says "masajes"! I had the same reaction initially -- "huh, massages, that's a new one" -- and then thought, well who WOULDN'T want a massage, especially a therapeutic one for a sick kid? What a great idea!

Abidal is so boss. This made me wipe a tear. What a great guy.

(where I first read this: http://www.marca.com/2012/01/15/futbol/equipos/barcelona/1326641684.html)
Jan. 17th, 2012 01:09 pm (UTC)
No problem, glad you enjoyed it! (:
& I know, the massage thing also sounded weird to me, but I though it was a part of the treatment or something. And even if it wasn't, who would refuse a massage? haha
Jan. 17th, 2012 12:50 am (UTC)

I don't know what I did in my past life to deserve to be living in the same era as Eric Abidal but THANK YOU MY PAST LIFE PERSON

"Dad, buy me Abidal's jersey, I'll fight like him and win my own Champions League"
alksghalsdjalskfj ;______;

Thanks for sharing this, bb!! ;_____________________________; ♥
Jan. 17th, 2012 02:16 pm (UTC)
omg the first gif! that absolutley was my reaction after reading the story lol

& no problem! :D
Jan. 17th, 2012 01:08 am (UTC)
omg abidal why so perfect
Jan. 17th, 2012 02:15 am (UTC)
What a beautiful story, ¡viva el Rey Abidaltasar!
Jan. 17th, 2012 04:07 am (UTC)
how sweet and precious, God bless Abi for his thoughtfulness and generosity. I wish there were no such terrible diseases in the world...
Jan. 17th, 2012 04:18 am (UTC)
I love Abi sfm. He is an amazing player and an even more amazing human being. This story teared me up big time.
Jan. 17th, 2012 04:46 am (UTC)
I'm such a mess bawling over this. Such beautiful souls.
Jan. 17th, 2012 06:28 am (UTC)
Crying. Footballers and charity/good gestures of human compassion ALWAYS gets me.
I hope the kid gets better soon :')

What a beautiful person.
Btw it's also his bff Keite's birthday! :)
Jan. 17th, 2012 04:07 pm (UTC)
Oh Abidal. You make it very hard for everyone else.
I don't get the watch story tho... Did the parents just randomly say hey nice Rolex Eric or what?
Jan. 17th, 2012 09:02 pm (UTC)
On the letter it only says that they made a comment about his watch and then he took it off.
They probably said "nice watch" or idk, maybe they were so nervous that didn't know what to say so they just said this lol
Jan. 17th, 2012 06:03 pm (UTC)
I teared up :') Amazing footballer and even better human being.
Jan. 17th, 2012 09:06 pm (UTC)
Thanks for the translation.

He is just utterly flawless in every possible way.
It made me choke up, and I never cry at anything.
Wish them all the best, the foundation sounds like such a good thing. It's wonderful that he can take that experience and have such empathy with people (and them with him).
Jan. 17th, 2012 09:12 pm (UTC)
abidal videos make me cry every single time
( 16 comments — Speak )

Hello there!

Welcome to _fcbarcelona_,
a community made by Barça fans for Barça fans. First of all, not all content posted in this community is available publicly. To view unlimited content in this community you will need to become a member. As a member you can post and discuss the latest Barça news, transfer rumors, fun posts, and live match with other culés.
For more information about us and how to become a member you can view our profile.
Visca Barça!

fcb cocoa
Futbol Club Barcelona

Latest Month

August 2013