Current Location: My Brother's Room
Current Mood: drained
Current Song: TV - Cowboys VS Jaguars

Title: The Curse of Time
Author: starrdust411
Fandom: Pirates of the Caribbean
Pairing: Jack/Will
Rating: R
Summary: Jack and Will parted ways years ago, but when the two reunite after five years apart, Jack realizes that he should have never let him go.
Disclaimer: I do not own Pirates of the Caribbean. Pirates of the Caribbean, its story and characters, is owned by Walt Disney Pictures.
Warnings: AU, Mpreg, Drama, Angst
Author's Note: Beta'd by glorfindel

Previous Chapter

Chapter Eight

Jack knew in his gut what he should do; he should leave, leave port as soon as possible and forget all about Will Turner and their illegitimate child. He had done it before and it wasn't hard to think that he couldn't do it again. Yet a part of him, a nagging, irritating part of him that seemed to voice its opinion more often in the years since he had met Will, knew that wasn't the right thing to do. He knew that he had... feelings for Will. Strong feelings that felt similar to... No. He wasn't going to think it again. He had been intoxicated when that thought had came floating to the front of his mind, and he knew now that he did not feel that way about Will Turner, but he did feel rather strongly towards him and their son and unfortunately, because of these strong feelings, he couldn't let himself abandon Will and Nathan. After all, if he did, he would just be proving the blacksmith correct in his thinking that Jack was a good-for-nothing drunkard with no sense of responsibility or parenting abilities.

As a result of this decision, Jack extended his crew's shore leave, stating that he was seeking another blacksmith to commission his sword and that it would take much longer then expected to fill the request. True, it was an out and out lie, especially since, as Will had said, there were no other smiths in port, but since his crew was too busy being occupied with causing a general ruckus in taverns and seeking out the very limited amounts of pleasurable company the town had to offer, it didn't seem to bother them much. So it was that Jack spent the next few days trying to figure out what he was going to do about his situation with Will, as well as how exactly was he supposed to obtain a new sword.

It was strange, but Jack suddenly found himself at a loss as to what to do. He had considered having the Pearl leave port and in effect leave him behind so that he could spend more time with Will and try to smooth things out between the two of them, but he had dismissed the thought as soon as it had come to him.

It was also strange that while he was sitting near the docks trying to think of what to do next he was approached by little Nathan, smiling from ear to ear as he waved his little wooden sword happily. "Hello Cap'n," he greeted and instantly stood in front of him reaching his arms out towards him.

Jack blinked in confusion at the child's sudden appearance. He didn't think he'd be seeing Nathan any time soon, yet here he was standing right in front of him, no more then two weeks after he and Will had had their little argument. Jack frowned as he bent down to lift the child into his arms, finally realizing that that was what he had been gesturing for him to do, and balanced him on his hips. "What are ye doin' here Nathan?" Jack asked.

"Aren't you happy to see me Cap'n?" Nathan pouted, a hint of worry and disappointment clear in the four year old's eyes.

"Course I'm happy ta see ye," Jack confirmed, not wanting to have a crying child on his hands. "Jus' curious 'bout how ye got here. Ye didn' run off again did ye?"

"Nuh uh," Nathan said simply as he swung his legs happily in the air. "Sarah followed me."

"Sarah?" Jack repeated in surprise. It was only then did he notice the distance figure of a young woman with sandy brown hair tied into twin braids slowly approaching them. It was obvious that Sarah wanted to speak to him, but Jack couldn't think for the life of him why.

"Mr. Sparrow?" the girl began awkwardly once she was in earshot.

"Captain Sparrow, actually," Jack corrected.

"Right," Sarah blushed, shifting from foot to foot nervously. "Would it be alright if I had a word with you... in private?"

Jack raised a questioning eyebrow at the girl's request. Now this was certainly interesting. Will wasn't speaking to him, yet Sarah wanted to talk to him. He suddenly had the feeling that something terrible had happened to Will. Yet if that was the case, then why wasn't Nathan upset? Perhaps the girl was taking things into her hands and had decided to tell him off for once and for all? No, the child could barely look at him, she wouldn't have the courage to stand up to him.

"I suppose," Jack said at length as he carefully placed Nathan down on the ground. "Give us a moment will, ye lad?" Nathan pouted, but reluctantly did as he was told, swinging his wooden sword at invisible foes as he went. When he was a fair distance away, Jack turned his attention back to Sarah, a neutral look on his face as he waited for the girl speak.

Sarah's crimson cheeks turned a few shades darker as she cleared her throat awkwardly and began fiddling with her braids. "I wanted to talk to you... about Mr. Turner."

Jack wasn't surprised. Why else would the girl want to talk to him? "Go on," he said, not displaying any outward emotions.

"Well, he... he doesn't really seem to have many... f-friends, but well, I heard that you came to see him a few days ago and the two of you spent the whole night talking in his room, so I, uh, assume that you're his friend."

Talking? Is that what she had heard? No, that's obviously what Will had told everyone, although Jack doubted that he had made any implication that he and Jack were friends, the girl was obviously jumping to conclusions. Jack, however, didn't really mind. Being Will's friend was better then being some pirate who he just happened to know (or worse).

"I suppose ye could call us that," Jack drawled casually.

"Does he listen to you?" Sarah asked hopefully.

Now Jack was worried. "Why?" he asked coolly. "Ye need me ta talk ta him?"

"Well," she began nervously, then stopped suddenly as if realizing she was about to say something personal to a man she hardly knew at all.

"It's alright lass," Jack urged soothingly, all previous attempts at
intimidation forgotten. All he knew was that this girl had something important to say about Will and he had to know what it was. "William an' I go ways back ye see. Knew him for quite a number o' years."

"Really?" she asked suspiciously. "He's never really spoken about you before. He hardly even speaks of you now!"

Now! Ye think o' this now! Jack had to bite his cheek in order to keep from screaming the words at the young girl. Blowing up in her face wouldn't help the child get him information any faster. "We had a fallin' out a few years back, but I can assure ye that there's nothin' but mutual respect an' admiration between the two o' us now."

A small groan escaped the young girl's mouth as she began chewing on her bottom lip nervously. There was obvious conflict warring within her and Jack was starting worry that she would balk and retract everything she said. Not that she had said anything important to begin with. "I'm... I'm really worried about him. You see, he's been sick for a few days now and... and he won't see a doctor. I know he doesn't have much money, but I asked father if perhaps he could lend him some so he could see a doctor, but Mr. Turner was completely against it.

"He's so noble," she sighed wistfully, a dreamy look crossing her grayish-green eyes as she twirled the end of her braid. Dear Lord, he had been right all along! The naïve young lass had feelings for dear William, and Jack wouldn't be surprised if the blacksmith was completely unaware of this. "He always puts the needs of others ahead of himself, especially when it comes to his son... but for once, I think that Mr. Turner should look out for himself. If something were to happen to him then... what shall become of Nathan?

"He doesn't have a mother you know, and I don't think it's proper for a man to raise a child by himself," she blushed before adding quietly, "He should really try looking for a wife."

Jack didn't know which was stronger, the urge to roll his eyes or the urge to burst out laughing. Of course, it was clearly the boy's dashing good looks and noble nature that turned the young girl's head, they were the same qualities that Jack himself found quite endearing, but the boy's looks and charms were not what was important right now. What was important was this illness Sarah was talking about. Love sick or not, the girl had a point, it wouldn't do for Will to get sick and stay that way simply cause he wanted to be a stubborn little whelp. Someone had to set the lad straight, and Jack knew he was just the man for the job.

"Say no more lass," Jack said reassuringly, "I'll be sure ta give young Mr. Turner a good talkin' to."

Sarah's face practically lit up as a wave of relief came crashing down on her. "Thank you," she said breathlessly. "Thank you so much Captain Sparrow! You have no idea how much this means to me!"

"I want to talk to Cap'n Jack now!" Nathan whined as he seemingly reappeared from out of no where, waving his wooden sword wildly in annoyance. The sword managed to give Sarah's knee a good swatting, but it also connected with Jack's leg which caused Nathan to stop and give both parties an apologetic look (but really it was only meant for Jack).

"Well, I..." Sarah stammered, rubbing her sore knee.

"A few minutes won't hurt," Jack said, resisting the urge to rub the sore spot on his leg.

Nathan smiled happily at Jack's words as he grabbed the pirate's hand and began dragging him away from Sarah. Clearly the boy wanted to talk in private as well. Jack laughed as the child began to swing their joined hands happily, before pausing to look up at Jack. "Are you going to get my Daddy married?" Nathan asked seriously.

"What?" Jack practically gasped.

"You said you would, 'member?" Nathan pointed out. "When we were eating dinner, you said you'd give my Daddy what he wanted most and I said that what he wanted most was to get married. Are you going to get him married?"

Jack blanched slightly at the boy's memory. He had forgotten about the whole conversation, but now that he thought about it he did sort of owe William a wedding, especially since he indirectly ruined his first one. No, no, no! What was he thinking? There were more important things at hand. He couldn't just go around marrying people at a time like this. He had to talk to Will about seeing a bloody doctor!

"I don't think so lad," Jack told him apologetically.

"Why not?" Nathan pouted. "How else are we going to be friends if you don't get Daddy married?"

"I'll jus' have ta think o' somethin' else."

"B-but..." Nathan began, tears of distress welling up in his dark brown eyes, eyes that Jack now realized mirrored his own.

Jack sighed. The last thing he wanted was a crying toddler on his hands. "Nathan," Jack began, in the gentlest voice he could manage as he bent down to eye level with the child. "I know ye want ta be me friend an' all, but ye have ta understand, gettin' married is a very serious matter. I can't jus' pick out anyone fer yer Da' an' have him marry them. Ye're Da... he's a very special man an' he deserves someone special that'll treat him right. D'ye understand?" Nathan frowned in confusion, shaking his head from side to side. Jack sighed in slight annoyance. How much simpler could he put this? "I care 'bout yer Da' too much ta see him marry the wrong person."

"Then why don't you marry him?"

Jack blanched at the boy's words. Oh Lord. Ye certainly have talked yerself into a corner on this one Sparrow. "It ain't that simple, Nathan," he explained carefully. "Ye see... ye're Da' an' I are men an' men can't get married."

"But Mr. Hobbs is married and he's a man," Nathan pointed out.

Jack groaned mentally, suddenly wishing that he was talking to someone a few years older. "What I mean is... I'll tell ye when ye're older," he finished in exasperation. Some things were just easier not to explain, especially when it involved four year olds.

"Alright," Nathan sighed reluctantly. He had obviously heard the phrase several times before and knew that it meant that it was the end of a conversation. "Will you promise to keep trying to make Daddy like you?"

Jack smiled as he patted the boy's head affectionately. "I can promise ye lad, I'll never stop tryin'."

Comments

Posted by: love_angel7 (love_angel7)
Posted at: September 11th, 2006 12:03 am (UTC)

Nathan is so cute! Great chapter. Can't wait for more.

Posted by: Starr Dust (starrdust411)
Posted at: September 11th, 2006 02:54 am (UTC)
Goofy Orlando

Thank you :)

Posted by: Lorne's Girl (pyleanelf)
Posted at: September 11th, 2006 07:49 am (UTC)
accomplished

Yay! He's pregnant!! :D

Posted by: rifleman_s (rifleman_s)
Posted at: September 13th, 2006 07:04 am (UTC)
Will Turner

Awwww - poor Nathan. Just wanting a simple happy ending and then he gets the He had obviously heard the phrase several times before and knew that it meant that it was the end of a conversation treatment!

Jack and Will need to talk!!

Posted by: Starr Dust (starrdust411)
Posted at: September 13th, 2006 06:06 pm (UTC)
Will Oh Noes

And talk they shall, in ch. 9 :D

5 Read Comments