The following rules come from that community and will be enforced.
1. Do NOT intentionally subject anyone to sexist, racist, homophobic, classist, or otherwise belligerent comments, unless pertinent to a specific topic. If you're trying to prove a point (say, using the word "nigger" to compare it to how insulting the word "fag" is), the context should be enough for it to be an acceptable comment. Also, if being sarcastic, it's a good idea to use the tag "[/sarcasm]" afterwards, so as to avoid confusion and nasty misunderstandings. Otherwise, if you become abrasive, we'll warn you and -- if the post is egregiously offensive -- we'll delete it. If you violate this guideline twice, we will ban you (unless you have a really good explanation).
2. Do NOT troll; if you do, you're gone. Verbally attacking other community members and visitors constitutes trolling, as does threatening violence. (Yes, we know that trolling is subjective; hence, we'll try to be as fair and moderate as possible). Being a conservative does not make you a troll.
3. Liberalism is a broad topic that has far-reaching implications across nation, class, race, sexual orientation, age, tolerance, ability, etc. Try to stay in the neighborhood of "on topic." You can play devil's advocate all you want, but try not to be antagonistic or disrespectful.
4. Place all large pictures, long posts, surveys, quizzes, and anything explicit behind a cut. That said, personal surveys and quizzes are frowned upon (but not banned), as they tend not to inspire discussion.
5. When posting a link, please add your thoughts about the link because this community is interested in your perspective, not just the link. If you just want to know what others think about an link, say so. The same if you just want people to read it and learn from it. Just simply say "I thought you would all be interested in this," or something along those lines.
6. Enable commenting for all posts, including announcements. If you violate this guideline, we'll pull the post. Moreover, it is inappropriate to delete comments from a post that you initiated. Problems? Contact the maintainer.
7. Remember that some people might be triggered by graphic (visual or written) imagery. Include a warning and place your information behind a cut if you suspect this might be the case. Heck, they may also be at work, and no one wants a sexually or violently explicit picture to pop up as their boss walks by.
8. Go ahead and briefly introduce yourself. We are, after all, a community -- a rather large and diverse one at that. As a result, some people might be annoyed with a string of "hello my name is..." posts. To counteract this possibility, include a question, snippet of information, or topic for discussion to your intro.
9. No griping posts concerning other members. Personal gripes have nothing to do with liberal or any other political or ideological issues, and should be taken to private messaging or your own journals, not a public forum. The post will stay up unless someone informs the maintainer that they want it down and deleted.
The Moderators of this Community will only remove a Post, a Comment or a User from this Community if it violates any rules posted in the Userinfo or if there are multiple request for it's removal. Although we can ban Users for violation of these rules we are not limited by them and any administration options can occur at our discretion at anytime.
Any member can contact me through my unit_fail journal or through this communtiy to a comment that I've posted to inform me of any Post, LJusers or comments that need to be looked at.
"Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings" Cheris Kramerae, author of A Feminist Dictionary, 1996.
"A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men." Gloria Steinem, founder of Ms. Magazine, leader of the Women's Movement
Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines
"I think it’s a patriotic thing to do to introduce the other side of the story." --Bill Maher, comedian
"Freedom of speech isn’t about protecting speech you like, it’s about protecting speech you hate." --Ron Jeremy, porn star
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." --Theodore Roosevelt, former president of the United States of America
"Democracy delivered by the bomb and the gun Is terror elsewhere in the world I'm from" --from "Special Delivery" by MC Frontalot
"If you vote Republican, does that make you an accomplice to their crimes?" --Matt Groening, cartoonist
"We all need some therapy because somebody came along and said liberal means soft on crime, soft on drugs, soft on Communism, soft on defense, and, 'We're going to tax you back to the stone age because people shouldn't have to work if they don't want to.'. And instead of saying, 'Well, excuse me, you right-wing reactionary, xenophobic, homophobic, anti-education, anti-choice, pro-gun Leave it to Beaver trip back to the '50s!', we cowered in the corner and said, 'Please don't hurt me!'. No more." --Bruno Gianelli, President Bartlet's second term campaign manager on The West Wing
"One thing in common between the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and Bush's record of military service is that we can't find either one of them." --Mike Erlandson, chairman of the Minnesota Democratic Party
And when in doubt go with Dr. Suess: Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss