music: Hate Me // Blue October
posted by: feast in __kirisaite

Because Death Note has totally stolen my heart. *_*

Title: Curtain Call
Fandom: Death Note
Rating: R
Genre: Angst, gen
Word Count: 631
Pairings: None, Light-centric, maybe some hints at Light/L if you look extremely hard.
Warnings: CHAPTER 58 SPOILERS LIKE WOAH. Bad language. Apathy.
Notes: Chapter 58-centric, Light's POV. Because I, well, totally didn't see that coming. First Death Note fic.

It’s funny, but all along, Light’s been expecting L’s death to be so much more dramatic. All along, he’s been expecting a spectacular display of gasping and clutching and crying out, but everything is just so mausoleum-silent. This death is so garden-variety. L’s performance, well, it’s not very exciting, so it’ll really make Light’s stand out.

L’s falling, and it’s like, one-two-three.

Curtain call.

Light’s trying not to laugh as he shoots his arms out, palms outstretched and open, catching the falling body in his arms right as he settles into his dual roles as Hero and Concerned and Caring Best Friend.

L, eyes wide, body shaking, he’s not dead yet, but he’s close. And this is all positively wonderful.

Kira has rehearsed this so very many times. He’s practiced anguish in the mirror. Wild-eyed looks of desperation. Wide-mouthed gapes of utter terror.

Yeah, he’s had it down for a while, now; he’s just been waiting for the right time to show it off.

The older man’s black-rimmed eyes close, long ebony eyelashes dusting his concave sallow cheeks, and he goes stone-rigid, body arching off of our Hero’s/Worried Companion’s forearms, before going limp as a rag doll. His head lulls back, bangs covering all of his primate-like facial features, and with one shuddering gasp that’s a step away from pathetic, he’s dead.

What this is, is the amazing miracle of death, the split-second transition from sentient, thriving being to decomposing object, and Light has a front-row seat.

L looks so beautifully calm, his eyes closed, those cracked and purple lips curled into a faint, vaguely animalistic smile, that he could be the poster boy for post-mortem complacency.

And this is Light’s golden opportunity. His moment to shine.

“R-Ryuzaki? Ryuzaki-kun?!”

His voice is shaking with faux primal fear. Mortal terror. His performance is so fucking wonderful, that, as he pulls L’s flaccid body closer to him, shaking and whimpering, he considers attempting sloppy and desperate mouth-to-mouth. Or pressing his ear to that bony chest, as if listening for a heartbeat. Just for, you know, added effect. Upping the sincerity factor. If he panics enough, this could be the most convincing performance of his life.

But Light doesn’t do any of those things. No, what Light does, is paste a practiced look of heart-piercing, suicide-inducing sorrow on his face, and scream at the top of his lungs.
He screams and screams, despite his father’s efforts to comfort him, and clings to that corpse like he actually gives a damn whether L is living or dead.

All this acting, all these roles he’s played: college-student, God, model teenager, perfect son, affectionate older brother, they’re all paying off.

He screams until he’s hoarse, until his throat burns raw, salt on fresh wounds, until tears are leaving warm, wet trails down his agony-red cheeks.

‘Light Yagami, always so composed. Look at how he’s breaking down; he’s obviously not Kira. There’s no way on Earth’ is basically the point of this gross, over-dramatization.

Light feels nothing but smug happiness and revenge as L’s body cools and begins to stiffen, right beside him.

Livor mortis, rigor mortis . . . possibly the best things that could ever happen to L. Ryuzaki. Ryuga. Whatever the hell his name was.

The young man stands, and it’s like, one-two-three.

Pull the curtains down. Fade-to-fucking-black.

Kira, as he walks away, grinning, the past few minutes playing out like an accident in his head, slow-motion, can think of no other words but, “I’d like to thank the Academy”, and they repeat over and over above the Gattling-gun fire sound of sprockets punching holes in this memory-film, in the little internal movie projector in his head.

Yeah, he’ll thank the Academy and accept the award. This is his best performance yet.

Playing God, that is.

end.

Link | Leave a comment | Share

Comments {38}

subdee

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 05:32 pm (UTC)
Link

THIS IS SO GOOD. Wow. I love the way you switch back and forth between "Light" and "Kira". I like the acting, and Light's self-centeredness. And the rhythm! I really love the rhythm of this, it's great writing.

And this all positively wonderful.

Missing an "is".

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 05:47 pm (UTC)
Link

Thank you very, very much!

And thank you, again, for pointing out that mistake. I'll fix it up. :)

Reply | Parent | Thread

mind your own uterus

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 05:37 pm (UTC)
Link

Oh... wow. Very insightful and I love how the motif of curtain fits in perfectly with this scene. Just... wow ^^' Sorry, I rather suck at reviewing ^^' anyway, congratulations on the DN debut. adding to memories.

And hey, I didn't see that coming too. Until the very last moment I was sure he was just pretending xD

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 05:51 pm (UTC)
Link

Hehe, thank you so much! ^^;

So did I! I mean, there were times before that during which I thought he was going to die, but when it finally happened, I just couldn't believe it.

Reply | Parent | Thread

your favourite mango smoothie.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 05:57 pm (UTC)
Link

o.o Wow. Omg that was great. It was... so... aargh I can´t finde the right words but let me tell you one thing.. You´ve got a new fangirl *_*

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 06:47 pm (UTC)
Link

Why, thank you so much! It's very nice to know I have some fans. :)

Reply | Parent | Thread

Aishuu

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 06:59 pm (UTC)
Link

Excellent. A really nice walk in the head of Light, told stylishly and quite sharply.

What this is, is the amazing miracle of death, the split-second transition from sentient, thriving being to decomposing object, and Light has a front-row seat.

Just perfect.

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 07:16 pm (UTC)
Link

Thank you!

Reply | Parent | Thread

if i was in wwii, they'd call me spitfire

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 07:48 pm (UTC)
Link

...This is incredibly amazing. ♥ I especially love the beginning.

And your characterization of Light is perfect.

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 07:56 pm (UTC)
Link

Thank you so much!

And that's really relieving. I was worried whether I'd gotten him in character or not. D:

Reply | Parent | Thread

Wicked_Pistil

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 07:53 pm (UTC)
Link

Wow. This was amazing. It was so well-written and the way you pulled the theatrical theme through from beginning to end was just amazing. Every word seemed so carefully chosen, but the story read so fluidly.

Just gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to read more of your work.

*adds to memories*

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 07:59 pm (UTC)
Link

I-I'm flattered! I'm really glad you liked it so much! Thank you very, very much. *_*

Reply | Parent | Thread

Elwing

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 08:58 pm (UTC)
Link

I loved this! Your style of writing is... okay, I'll say it, it's dramatic, and it works really well. The theme is brilliantly handled throughout. Light is so twisted. :D Great work!

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 14th, 2006 04:06 pm (UTC)
Link

Thank you! :) And yes, he is. But that's why we love him.

Reply | Parent | Thread

紫髪 チッピ

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 09:25 pm (UTC)
Link

Amazing. I finished reading the manga some weeks ago, and am still too affected about L to really do something in memory of him, other than make a few lame icons. Your style is amazing; Light is portrayed perfectly; even the way you described L: "the split-second transition from sentient, thriving being to decomposing object"

As a huge L fan, I hated that line; but as a writer I loved it. *two thumbs up* Good job!

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 14th, 2006 03:59 pm (UTC)
Link

I'm only on chapter 60, but I hope to finish it sometime soon. I've heard the ending is very disappointing. Thank you very much!

Heh, I love L too. He was my favorite character for most of what I've read. Again, thanks!

Your icon is adorable, by the way.

Reply | Parent | Thread

紫髪 チッピ

(no subject)

date: Jun. 14th, 2006 06:25 pm (UTC)
Link

Thank you! ^_^ I have one like yours, too.

For me, everything after ch. 58 was disappointing. It just seemed to flow differently and nothing was right. But maybe that's just me, and you'll enjoy it more. I hope you can. ^_^ And I hope you write more fanfics. *hint, hint*

Reply | Parent | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 15th, 2006 12:45 am (UTC)
Link

It's starting to seem like I won't enjoy the rest as much, either. Death Note just isn't the same without L. I appreciate the plot twist and everything, but they could've off Misa or someone like that. Ah, well.

And I shall, if I'm sufficiently bunnied. I really want to. :)

Reply | Parent | Thread

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 09:51 pm (UTC)
Link

I fucking love Kira, that evil bastard. Oh god, you made him so evil and amazing.

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 14th, 2006 04:02 pm (UTC)
Link

Mmm, so do I. ♥ Thank you!

Reply | Parent | Thread

Sunshine McGee

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 11:46 pm (UTC)
Link

<3 *LOVE*

This was amazing, with the theatrical theme and all. The sharp writing style works wonderfully, and I *love* how you switched between Light and Kira.

And yes, if you squint, there might me some Light/L. XD *loves that pairing and all its angrysex*

Reply | Thread

Sunshine McGee

(no subject)

date: Jun. 13th, 2006 11:49 pm (UTC)
Link

By the way, I'm DEFINITELY reccing this in my journal.

Reply | Parent | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 14th, 2006 04:07 pm (UTC)
Link

Aww, thank you very much! :O

Reply | Parent | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 14th, 2006 04:05 pm (UTC)
Link

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It's kind of funny how so many people liked the Light/Kira thing; I only put it in there because I thought I was using 'Light' too often. XD; But I'm happy that it had more effect than I intended.

Hehe! My love of slash infects everything I write, whether I want it to or not. There's a lot of Light/L subtext in the series, though. And I also quite like the pairing. Perhaps I'll try and write it sometime...

Reply | Parent | Thread

Keraha

(no subject)

date: Jun. 14th, 2006 12:04 am (UTC)
Link

Recced by sub_divided and wow. It's been ages since the last time I read DN fic, and this just reminds me all the good stuff I'm missing out on. Oh Light. Oh L.

L looks so beautifully calm, his eyes closed, those cracked and purple lips curled into a faint, vaguely animalistic smile, that he could be the poster boy for post-mortem complacency.

I love that. Just gorgeous and wrong in all the right ways.

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 14th, 2006 04:09 pm (UTC)
Link

I was recced? Wow, I'm honestly flattered (and very surprised)!

Thank you very much!

Reply | Parent | Thread

leesy_metallium

(no subject)

date: Jun. 14th, 2006 03:16 am (UTC)
Link

Ok, first of all, wow. This is REALLY good. And so true. Light is the best actor that there is. This is brilliant.

Just one thing though. Maybe you could have included how Light let L see that he was Kira? With the whole evil smile thing that he did just before L died. Just my two cents ^^

Thankyou for writing this!

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 14th, 2006 04:01 pm (UTC)
Link

Thank you!

You know, I didn't even notice that until I read the chapter a few more times, once I'd finished this. Then I thought of some way to include it, but couldn't come up with anything. ^^;

Reply | Parent | Thread

(Deleted comment)

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 16th, 2006 12:37 am (UTC)
Link

Thank you! ♥ ♥

Reply | Parent | Thread

fledgling

(no subject)

date: Jun. 25th, 2006 03:53 am (UTC)
Link

Brilliant. Brilliant. It was touching, in a cruel and breathtaking way, simply because of all the emotion you managed to pack into it. And I love the characterization of Light! You master the characters and scenario with such skill. His morbid thoughts, the comparison of Light vs. Kira... everything was perfect. *mems*

Friending this journal. <3

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 25th, 2006 03:20 pm (UTC)
Link

Thank you so much! You're too nice, really. *_*

Reply | Parent | Thread

stolenkisses_

(no subject)

date: Jun. 26th, 2006 12:09 am (UTC)
Link

This is absolutely brilliant- I love it. Light would have viewed that as nothing more than a moment to show off his acting skills, just one more chance to prove his own superiority. (And I can also believe that he definitely had been practicing his reaction to L's death) Great writing here :) My favorite part:

Livor mortis, rigor mortis . . . possibly the best things that could ever happen to L. Ryuzaki. Ryuga. Whatever the hell his name was.

*mems*

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 26th, 2006 12:23 am (UTC)
Link

Thank you so very much! I'm really happy that you liked this. :)

Reply | Parent | Thread

(Deleted comment)

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Aug. 1st, 2006 05:21 pm (UTC)
Link

Wow, thank you so very, very much! You really flatter me. ^//^

Reply | Parent | Thread

I Have A Calculated Weakness For Curly Hair

(no subject)

date: Jun. 8th, 2007 06:46 am (UTC)
Link

OH hell yes.

Light, the consummate actor. Great work :)

Reply | Thread

avril 14th.

(no subject)

date: Jun. 8th, 2007 06:49 am (UTC)
Link

Thanks! ♥

This fic is bordering on ancient! |D

Reply | Parent | Thread

Noxaura Cille

Wow

date: Mar. 26th, 2016 04:38 pm (UTC)
Link

This- this is truly magnificent

I aspire to become a writer as good as this...

I honestly don't think I'll ever be this good, but that's most likely because my writing style is different and still in development.

Keep it up, you're really good at it!

~Nox

Reply | Thread